The Weekly Round-Up: Feb 22


Well, I'm freshly back from Kingston and what a tournament! This was a historic tournament, as I acheived a lot of firsts. I had a great showing with my Necron force and had quite a blast the whole weekend! A side from the painting I did for the tournament, there isn't a whole lot to show, so I'll mostly recap the tournament! Did I mention I had lots of Fun at the Tournament!


So, for the first time in ... well ... ever, I got more than 1 win at a tournament! Now, while I only increased that by 1, it feels great to have 2 wins! And, on top of that, I had 2 draws. So in a six round tournament, that means I also had 2 loses. So, what a nice spread 2-2-2. It went there aiming to not come in last, and I most definitly acheived that! There were 3 rounds a day, and usually, I zone out near the end of each day (since, 6+ hours of playing will do that), but this year, I was able to keep myself mostly on the ball. So onto the recap!

Round 1


Scenario: Friendly Fire
Opponent: Dark Angels Space Marines
Result: Draw (7-7)

The Goal of friendly fire was to get kill points. The flavor for this map, was that there were 6 volcanoes spread evenly across the map in two rows of three. At the beginning of each player turn, you rolled a dice to see what they did. The would do one of three things: shoot out some ash to create cover, explode slightly and do light hits against thing relatively close, or really explode and hurt things right near them. In order to win, you needed to have 7+ more kills than your opponent. I ended up with one more kill, so it was a draw and neither of us got any bonus points to pull ahead.

Round 2


Scenario: Zombie Apocalypse!
Opponent: Eldar
Result: Draw (8-8)

In this game, players were trying to capture and hold the medical center at the heart of the town to find a cure for the Zombie out break. In order to win, you needed to hold it for 4 turns more than your opponent. Mean while, Zombies are popping out from any piece of terrain to attack the nearest non-zombie unit. Taking the medical center proved to be fruitless as both our forces circled it in a vicious meat grinder that neither side could win. So in the end, we had a draw.

Round 3

Scenario: End Game
Opponent: Necrons
Result: Loss (3-13)

In this game, it was a backs to the wall meat grinder where everyone was fearless (since there was no where to run!) Both of us were using Necrons, and this match really came down to what we brought, and the other side had more close combat units, and that really helped. Guess I'll have to add some more for next time!

Round 4


Scenario: Search Party
Opponent: Eldar
Result: Win (13-3)

This was an objective grabbing match. There were 6 objective crates placed by us on the map and the goal was to get more than your opponent. Four out of six of them were grouped on one side, so I deployed my forces mostly over there to grind it out. However, my opponent opted for taking the other side of the map and not closing with my forces allowing me the run of the board. So I took 4 crates and he only had one by the end of the game.

Round 5


Scenario: Grot Mart
Opponent: Eldar with Dark Eldar allies
Result: Win (13-3)

This is one of my favorite boards. In the center of the board there is Jib Jib's Grot mart. There are 4 tokens we place on the map to represent salvage. You want to collect the salvage and bring it to Jib Jib and make a deal. To win, you do this more than your opponent. There are also Squigs roving the map which will attack anything on sight. These were amusing as turn one, they blew up my opponents Ravager, and kept one of my warrior squads tied up for 3 turns worth of combat. In the end, I managed to make one deal with Jib Jib, and stopped my opponent from getting his salvage to the mart.

Round 6


Scenario: Crash Site Recovery
Opponent: Imperial Knights
Result: Loss (2-13)

This map was like the Search party, except for there was a pilot to capture on top of the six crates to secure. Saving grace at the start was that only troops could start on the field. So, no Knights. I quickly took 3 crates, had most of my army show up before the first Knight set foot on the table, and killed the pilot, so that no one could capture him. And for the first 3 turns the game was in my favor, as only one Knight at a time was showing up and I was killing them as they showed up. Not an easy task! But then there where 3, and things started to tip in the balance of power. In the end, he had 2 crates to my 1. However, it was a very costly fight for him as, out of a combined 30 hull points in his force, he only had 13 left at the end of the game. It was a good match.

Comments