From the Work Bench: September 24, 2026


Hey Everyone! Update post this week as I've been able to get some painting done and I haven't gotten any new games in yet for my solo stuff.
Tempestus Aquilon

More Tempestus Aquilons

Full Tempestus Aquilon Squad

Painting update first. I have now finished my last 3 Tempestus Aquilons to complete the squad. It's taken awhile, but now both sides of the Kill team box are done (the other side being the Vespid I completed last year). Some of these guys have already seen some table top action as the Sergeant has been my stand in for Linda in the Crimson Tide stories, and some of the regular troopers have been my main characters in Bug Hunt (Cali, Mallika, and Timothea).

Kroot Long Quill

Kroot Carnivore

T'au Ethereal

Next, my T'au projects. I've completed my Kroot Long Quill, who will lead my new Carnivore squad. I've also started on the next regular Kroot for the squad. I'm trying to keep it to one model at a time to not flood my project board and so I don't loose ambition on completing what I start. I've also made some progress on the Ethereal with getting the basic robe colors started and some of the gold trimmings.

Landraider

I've now also almost completed the metal colors for the Landraider. I have a few more tubes to paint, then the black ink wash. After that I can move onto the other detail colors.

Spawn Point Markers

Urban Terrain

Next up, working through some more markers and terrain. I realized during my last mission of Bug Hunt I didn't have any spawn point markers, but I knew I had my old Tyranid bits somewhere. I finally found them in an old box and put them on the board. They're almost done. And I've made some more progress on the dumpsters and parked cars. I'll probably use them for Five Parsecs as much as X-COM when I'm doing urban maps.

Crimson Tide Characters from left: Matt, Sebastian, A-113, Jeb, Linda

Finally, I feel like I'm happy with what I've got for my Crimson Tide crew. I'm not sure if there's much more for detail I want to get done. I still have to get Tyris, Lucas, and Bishop printed off to round out the crew. I'm also now debating if I want to try and make different versions of the crew as I have changed up some of the gear and how I envision them in my stories. But for now I just want to get the 3 missing crew done up.

Crimson Tide Round 17 mission

As for the gaming and story write-up side of the blog, I just need to actually sit down and play the next rounds of my games (or in Star Trek's case, sit down and work through the scenes). I've got the upkeep parts done for both Crimson Tide and Red Snakes, I just have to play the actual mission. But as regular life starts to ramp up, it might be a moment before I get the time. I'm hoping I can squeak in a game sometime this week. I find it takes me about 1.5-2hrs to play through the mission part. The more ambitious thing for me as well on my list of things to do is finish cataloging my minis for the gallery section. It helps that I have a light ring now for pictures, but it's my largest armies that still need to be done.

On that note, I may also revisit my faction focus posts that I have started years ago when I started this blog. At the time, I only have my 4 main armies (Tyranids, T'au, Necrons, Space Marines) and the start of some of my smaller factions (Guard, Orks, Dark Eldar/Drukari) Many of those factions have grown substantially over the last 12 years plus I've added even more factions (Eldar, Ad Mech, Sisters of Battle, Votaan, Imperial Knights, and Genestealer Cults, Chaos Space Marines) and it would be a good idea for me to share what my inspiration was behind them and what lore/fluff I've made for them over the years. It also wouldn't hurt to updated my original faction focus posts either.

Otherwise, I have been going back through some older posts to replace missing photos. As I used to do photo hosting through Photobucket back in the day when they were free, I dropped the account when they became a paid subscription service. That resulted in a bunch of the photos being dropped from my blog. I do hope to find the pictures from the battle reports to update them some day. But that's going to require me to find some of my old laptops and pray the pictures are still on the drives.

That's it for this update! Until next time!

Czar Ziggy